So far we have looked at two homes (French-Lawler, Fowle) and one building (Fitzgerald Warehouse). Today we’ll reach way back into the city’s history, and take a look at the home of one of the founding fathers.
207 N. Fairfax
It’s not difficult to find where the Founding Fathers of Alexandria once lived. Just walk along Fairfax Street, the preeminent avenue that overlooked the river. Starting at King Street and proceeding northward past Cameron, you’ll find the Burke Bank which holds a commemorative marker for the home of John Fitzgerald, Ramsay House (now the Visitors Center), the majestic Carlyle House, and the more modest home of John Dalton.
Dalton and Carlyle teamed up and formed what Pamela Cressey noted was the longest corporate partnership in Northern Virginia (25 years). In 1759, the pair built a wharf at Cameron and Lee (then Water). The excavation team found a large domed brick icehouse in his basement.
Dalton, friend of Washington, wore several hats, including merchant, town trustee, Vestryman for Christ Church and purchasing agent for Revolutionary War supplies. The preservation movement can be traced to his great-granddaughter, Ann Pamela Cunningham, who organized the Mount Vernon Ladies Association in 1853. With the help of the Burke Bank, she raised money to restore Mount Vernon.
The Dalton House has a false front made of brick. The side reflects its original clapboard style. Paradoxically, this historic home does not have a commemorative marker.