We are celebrating Black History Month by publishing texts of historical markers in the Old Town and Parker Gray Historic District.
So far we have covered neighborhoods and individuals, and are now focusing on churches.
Today we wrap up that segment with three markers.
Meade Church, Memorial Courtyard, 322 North Alfred Street
Rest here awhile. Let God’s peace become yours. With all our frailties, we do, in this life, as much as we are able to do. And for God, that is enough.
Souls prepared need no delays. The summons comes, the saints obey. Quick is the flight and short the road. These closed their eyes and woke with God.
This Memorial courtyard is sacred to the memory of William Jefferson and Rebecca Pickering George and George Henry and Bess Dever Woodward.
Enlargement of Church, 322 North Alfred Street
The 1990 enlargement of this church is dedicated to God’s glory and to the memory of the Afro-American Christians, many of them emancipated slaves, who became the congregation of Meade Church by action of the Vestry of Christ Church in 1873, two years after this bell was cast.
Let the sound of this bell always remind the hearers of how precious is our freedom under God.
This bell tower is given in honor of the Rev. Canon John C. Davis, Rector 1960-1971.
United House of Prayer, 322 North Henry Street
United House of Prayer for all people, Church on the rock of the Apostolic Faith, Bishop C.M. McCollough, Successor. Dedicated 1998.