We are celebrating Black History Month by publishing texts of historical markers in the Old Town and Parker Gray Historic District.
So far we have covered neighborhoods and individuals, and are now focusing on churches.
Today we visit St. Joseph’s Church, a beautiful one whose full edifice has been seen while construction is completed on the new mixed use project behind it.
The church’s history primer speaks of the challenges black catholics faced in Alexandria.
The congregation today is diverse and the church recently celebrated its 100th anniversary.
St. Joseph’s Church, 711 North Columbus Street
1915 – Saint Joseph’s Church – 1990, Alexandria, Virginia
Under the guidance of the most reverend Denis J. O’Connell, Bishop of Richmond, Saint Joseph’s Church was built by Father Joseph J. Kelly, of the Society of Saint Joseph (The Josephites) with assistance of many benefactors, among them being the Drexel and Morrell families of Philadelphia, for the glory of God and the good of the African American people of Alexandria, Virginia. October 14, 1990.